RedMIGRATOR:Table of Contents
redMIGRATOR is a tool that allows you to migrate your default Joomla 1.5 content/data to Joomla 3.x
redMIGRATOR will not migrate your 3rd party extensions, template(s) nor customized/hacked core code. For migration of 3rd party extensions please seek information from the extension provider
The latest release for download is named redmigrator-v1.6.0_fullpackage-unzipfirst.zip.
This zip you need to unzip locally first and inside you will find:
- The redMIGRATOR component to install in your joomla 3 site. This is named redmigrator-v1.6.0_j3.zip
- A folder named redmigrator-v1.6.0-plugins. Within this folder there is a system folder, and inside the system folder you find the REST plugin which are the one to install in a joomla 1.5 site if you use the RESTful method. The file is named system_redmigrator_1.6.0.zip
Before you install please check the following:
- Your site is running PHP 5.3.x minimum. (The redCORE library used in the component part at the joomla 2.5/3 target site, doesn't support PHP 5.2.x well in this release)
- At the joomla 1.5 source site check that you have disabled and uninstalled any older jUpgrade/jUpgradePRO plugin. (In the case where an older plugin is installed and active it could conflict with the redMIGRATOR plugin and cause your site to show some warnings which need to be manually corrected in database)
- Always do a functional backup before installing any extension. This allows you to quickly reset to the stable state from before installing in the situations where conflicts occur.
Two methods for migrating sites:
Read the following carefully to decide which method is best for your migration.
The database method is the fastest way for migrating sites, however, it requires you to have the database name and the user and password from the database server.
Choose this method if the Joomla 1.5 site will be on the same server as the Joomla 3 site, and if you have full database details for the Joomla 1.5 database as well as the Joomla 3 database (including hostname, user, passord, and prefix).
Migrating with this option is slower than with database, however, you don't need database details. With this method you only need to install a plugin in the Joomla 1.5 site to be migrated and a new Joomla 3 install, and set the configuration. This method allows you to migrate data from one server to another one.
Choose this method if your Joomla 1.5 site will be on a different server than the Joomla 3 site.
Installation and usage video
The following video shows an example usage of redMIGRATOR using both Database and RESTful methods. Please watch the video entirely before using the tool for your migration.
First of all be sure to check the previous section, which lays out the requirements to use redMIGRATOR. It is imperative that the PHP version is supported and that you create a backup from your site. If after watching the video, the migration is still not completing, verify the following:
- When using the RESTful method, make sure to configure both sites, i.e. configuring the the component in the recent Joomla version site, and then plugin in the old Joomla version site.
- When using the RESTful method, make sure your internet connection is stable on both ends, meaning both sites need to be reliably connected to each other. You can test this with various tools or a simple ping command.
- Turn on error reporting in your Joomla settings, set it preferably to Development, as this will give you more clues as to what needs checking.
redMIGRATOR is provided as-is, and without warranty. If you unable to make redMIGRATOR work and wish to hire our services for the job please Contact Us for an estimate.
Check back on occasion for updated information.
Older Joomla Upgrade tools. No longer maintained at redCOMPONENT.com
Manage upgrade transitions from Joomla! 1.5 to 2.5
Manage upgrade transitions from Joomla! 1.5 to 2.5 / 3.0