redCOMPETITION:Managing questions and answers
Once the form for the competition has been created and its basic details filled out, the next step is to write out the questions that people will be asked each competition can have an unlimited number of questions and answers, and these are simple to set up .
Click on the "Questions" submenu link to bring up the Questions listing screen. On this screen is an overview of the available questions, the competitions they appear in and the number of correct answers that are required for the question to be marked as "correct". There are also the facilities to change the order questions are displayed in and whether they will appear or not (published).
When adding a new question or editing an existing one, remember that the question can consist of up to 200 characters, including letters numbers and special characters such as question marks. You can assign the question to the competition it should appear in; one competition per question.
The "Check Answers" setting determines the number of correct answers required for this question to be marked as "correct". Whether the question has one or more correct possible answers,
- All answers - all correct answers must be picked
- One answer - at least one correct answer must be picked
Once you have some questions written down, the next step is to make all the possible answers for each one. Click on the "Answers" submenu link to bring up the Answers listing screen.
On this screen is an overview of the available answers, the questions they belong to and the choice of field type used to display them. An additional column lists whether each answers is the "correct" one or not. There are also the facilities to change the order questions are displayed in and whether they will appear or not (published).
When adding a new answer or editing an existing one, remember that the answer can consist of up to 200 characters, including letters numbers and special characters such as exclamation and speech marks. You can assign the answer to the question it belongs to; one unique possible answer per question.
There are options to mark whether this answer is "correct" and whether it is displayed (published). A question can have multiple correct answers, though whether the question will be marked as "correct" upon submission depends on how many answers are required.
The "Field type" dropdown offers six different ways in which to display and record answers. There are generally two kinds:
- Text-based answers, where the contestant needs to type in their answer; use these fields:
- Textfield - displays a single line input field next to the question
- Textarea - displays an adjustable text area box next to the question, fit for a long sentence or a paragraph
- Selection-based answer, where the contestant needs to pick an answer from the options presented to them; use these fields:
- Radio - displays possible answers as radio buttons, single choice
- Select - display possible answers in a drop-down select box, single choice
- Checkboxes - displays possible answers with checkboxes next to each, allowing multiple choices
- Multiselect - displays possible answers in a multi-select box, allowing multiple choices
For text-based answers, the contestant needs to write the answer exactly as it has been saved in the backend for it to count as correct. This includes getting the right uppercase and lowercase letters, although this requirement may be adjustable in a future version of redCOMPETITION.
redCOMPETITION will check the field type of the first answer assigned to a question, and automatically update and limit all additional answers to the same field type. For example, if the first answer to a question has been saved as a "radio" field type, all other answers for that question will also be of the "radio" field type.