redSHOP:Customizing the interface
As shop administrators get more used to working within redSHOP and its interface and way of doing things, they also have at their disposal several tools and third party extensions which can enhance the experience of working with redSHOP and the back end. These can range from the "Quick Links" that the administrator can configure for easy access to commonly used sections, to administrator-oriented modules such as "redSHOP Dashboard", to templates and plugins such as those from AdminPraise and NoNumber.
redSHOP's Main Menu allows for the addition of "Quick Links", providing a space where the shop administrator can display shortcuts to the most frequently used sections in redSHOP. More details on how this panel works is available earlier in this article, in the Statistic Panel and Quick Links Dashboard section, as well as in the Global Configuration section described in the "Setting up redSHOP" wiki article.
redSHOP Admin modules
There are currently three redSHOP-specific administrator modules that are all available from the redSHOP 3rd Party forum, including:
- redSHOP Dashboard for admins - This module gives the shop administrator a brief overview of all recent orders and their statuses right from Joomla!'s main control panel, as well as quick links to the Orders, Products, Users and Configuration sections.
- redSHOP "Latest Orders" module - This module shows the latest redSHOP orders received in the Joomla Admin Cpanel, and it can be configured to show as many orders as wanted and with whichever order statuses wanted.
- Multi Statistics - The Multi Statistics Module is a simple administration module to place in the Control Panel of your Joomla website and give you different statistics about the Users, Helpdesk (if installed) and Sales (Virtuemart, redShop or Digistore).
3rd Party Extensions
There are several very useful extensions and templates available in the Joomla! world to enhance the experience of working with redSHOP and customizing the back end interface to make dealing with data entry and navigation much simpler, more convenient, and in the end, saving on loads of time. Here are some that redCOMPONENT recommends all shop administrators check out and explore to get the most out of the online store experience.
- AdminPraise 3 - "AdminPraise 3 brings the administration of Joomla together for an unrivaled user experience. Customize your AP3 Dashboard to the way YOU use Joomla. Never before have you been able to tweak a Joomla admin panel to your exact preferences and usage. AdminPraise3 provides customizations and optimizations for your favorite Joomla components. Log in and get an instant update of all the activity in your Joomla site. Whether you administrate Joomla in a 800px window or fullscreen at 1920x1200, AdminPraise3 will dynamically resize elements for an optimized user experience! Not only does AdminPraise3 resize & rearrange for your browser, it also detects your iPhone, iPad or Android device and optimizes the dashboard and navigation."
- VTEM Admin Template - "VTEM Admin is a super lightweight Joomla! administrator panel template and logical placement, customization combine to bring you a totally optimized Joomla! experience. This is a open source initiative to bring some innovation and a better user experience to Joomla's back-end. We're constantly chasing down the best solutions for Joomla administrators. We firmly believe with interfaces, applications, operating systems, etc, that there is no one size fits all solution. By getting our VTEM Admin, you're giving yourself tons of power and options for one low price."
- Minima - "Minima aims to make the administration of your Joomla! 1.7 much easier by simplifying things and giving you a nicer, cutting edge interface to work with instead. Minima has a big concern on performance; you will be surprised to see how fast it is compared to other templates. Choose one color and the template will adjust itself. Soon you'll be able to customize your own dashboard! Minima was one of the first Joomla! 1.6 administrator template that actually cared about Usability; Joomla! in a way you haven't seen yet. Want HTML5 & CSS3 goodness? Here you go; Minima uses the latest technologies to bring a great (and fast) user experience."
- Jentla Flexile - "Jentla Flexile is a re-envisioning of Joomla administration. It is designed to provide Joomla with a modern, intuitive administration system usable from micro businesses to enterprises. Jentla Flexile was designed in conjunction with Mikael Wedemeyer and his team at Niche Studios. Niche Studios reviewed a series of CMS admin systems and helped us come up with a design which advances Joomla significantly."
- Finger Tips - "Fingertips is an Admin-Side Management extension that turns your Admin-side Control Panel into a true dashboard. With Fingertips, you can assign any admin-side module you want to display anywhere throughout your admin-side. Additionally, you can completely customize your admin-side menu, removing or adding menu items as you wish. You are no longer confined to the Menu Groups and Menu Items that Joomla gives you by default."
Modules and plugins
- Add to Menu - "Add to Menu is an Administrator module. You will get an extra link in the top right of your Administrator to quickly add a menu item link of the page you are viewing."
- AdminBar Docker - AdminBar Docker is an admin plugin that adds a dock/undock option to the Administrator.With sites with loads of articles or with certain components you get long pages in your administrator. You often have to scroll up and down the page a lot. And when you want to save something or enter the main menu, you have to scroll all the way back to the top of the page. AdminBar Docker offers a solution for this. With one click on a little icon (top-right of your screen) you can undock the menu and the toolbar. Now they float over your page at the top of the screen... even if you are at the bottom of the page. Now you have the menu and the action buttons (save, apply, cancel, etc) in view in a super quick and handy way.AdminBar Docker also gives you quickbuttons to jump to the top or bottom of the page."
- Better Preview - "Better Preview changes the url of the preview button in your Joomla! Administrator (top right) to match the item you are viewing. It does a smart search through your menus to also get the right (or best matching) Itemid. That means that your menus and modules will be placed correctly. The large article preview button will work differently. With Better Preview it executes the plugins, so you will see how the content will actually look on your website."
- RSFinder! - "RSFinder! really makes your life easier when managing your Joomla! Website. As an administrator, you often spend a lot of precious time browsing through the Joomla! menu in search of your articles, your menu items and so on. With RSFinder! you can quickly access anything from articles, to menu items, modules or even components by using your keyboard. Just press the special character to trigger the search box, then type 2 or 3 letters, and there you have it."
- Admin Login Redirect - "This plugin redirects the user to the last administrator page they were on before the session timed out. It also has an option to set a page that the user will always be redirected to after administrator login. It does not affect front end logins in any way."
- Admin Bar Unlocker - "Tired of locked admin bar when editing something? This simple plugin is for you. It will always keep the admin bar unlocked, so you will not be nervous when you want to navigate elsewhere quickly."
- Art Admin Shortcuts - "Art Admin Shortcuts adds quick icons and keyboard shortcuts to help administrator fast and easy access components and pages. Tired of browsing through Joomla! admin menu? Ever wanted to assign Alt+S keyboard shortcut to Save the article? Then Art Admin Shortcuts extension is for you. Instead of spending a lot of time browsing through the Joomla! menu administrator can just press keyboard shortcut or quick icon to go to any page."
- Advanced Administrator Menu - "Having trouble navigating the Components menu in the Joomla Administrator when you have dozens of extensions installed? Advanced Administrator Menu has been designed to give you the ability to create additional menus in the Administrator Menubar. Group components from your favourite vendor together, your most commonly used extensions or just balance the length of your component menus. Advanced Administrator Menu replaces the standard Joomla Admin Menu in order to give you these new features."
- AJAX Toggler - "Speed-up Joomla! administration with AJAX support! This plugin provides AJAX features and backend page isn't reloaded on various actions like publishing/unpublishing, featuring/unfeaturing, sorting tables by columns, pagination links, filtering, ordering, searching the rows etc. and even shows system messages. Works in all modern browsers and with most 3rd party extensions. Allows disabling of loading for selected components."
- ND EditorSwitch - "ND EditorSwitch is a mix of a backend component and an AJAX module that makes easy (and faster...) to switch between WYSIWYG editors. Install process automatically setup a module on the status bar (top right of the Joomla administrative area)."
- Admin Forever - "This simple plugin will prevent admin session expiration, so you will never be logged out when you don't want it to happen. Note: You still need to login!"
- KC Admin QuickIcons - "The KC Admin QuickIcons administrator module allows the administrator to add up to 10 (15 for the 1.6-1.7 version) more quick icon access links to the Joomla! backend administrator control panel. Each icon has a text label, a link and it can use an icon from the khepri or bluestork template or you can use your own custom icon (48px x 48px). In the Joomla! 1.5 version you can also set what access level the icon will be displayed for. So you can set up some icons for Managers (and above), for Administrators (and above) or just for Super Administrators. In the Joomla! 1.6-1.7 version, the access levels specified are used to determine if the backend user has access and if not, the icon is not displayed."
- jOrange Quick Access Bar - "jOrange Quick Access Bar is a replacement for the standard User Status in the Joomla administration interface. Compared to the User Status bar, jOrange Quick Access Bar displays more detailed information about the visitors on your site and your emails. Additionally, it provides links to the front-end, module and plugin administration panels."
- SmartIcons - "SmartIcons is a Joomla! administrator extension that incorporates both a component and a module. It helps administrators by extending the QuirckIcons module. The extension allows administrators to make their own shortcuts for various components and actions and group them into tabs."
- obTODO - "This module implements a ToDo list into the tabs of the admin area, providing the ability to make a list of "Things to do" on the Joomla backend cpanel. Features include being able to filter OR search the list of TO-DO entries, a collapsible form to enter your task (allowing you to show/hide the form), an add option to show/hide the column order number, and an added help button for instructions."
- Broken Image Notifier - "Broken images on a website make it look unprofessional and poorly maintained. They need to be fixed as soon as possible but how do you even know about them if you don't go through all your sites manually from time to time? Here is the solution: This plugin scans your website on each page load for broken images and sends out an email if it detects one. This allows you to fix your website as soon as possible and saves you the time to check all pages yourself."