redSHOP:Working with WYSIWYG Editors
On many of the forms that the shop administrator can access and use to modify details within certain sections, an HTML-rich text editor (also known as a WYSIWYG editor) will be displayed that will allow the shop administrator to insert and modify containing HTML tags and formatting while using convenient and user-friendly graphical toolbars to assist those entering content and are not comfortable working with HTML formatting tags directly. Each WYSIWYG editor offers essentially the same features, however each one has a different take on how to offer them and how to design the toolbars.
Within Joomla!'s own Global Configuration section (accessed through the Joomla menu, Site -> Global Configuration), there is a setting labelled "Default WYSIWYG Editor" that lists all WYSIWYG text editors currently installed and enabled in the Plugin Manager (as WYSIWYG editors fall under the category of "editor"-type plugins). This setting determines the WYSIWYG editor that will be used across the site, both in the front and back end. Registered users can change their individual preference of WYSIWYG editor if the shop administrator so chooses to offer that ability.
By default, Joomla! comes installed with three editor plugins, two of them enabled and active and one as another alternative that must be enabled before available to use:
- Editor - No Editor - When selected, this will display a standard, plain textarea wherever WYSIWYG editors are meant to be displayed. This editor type should only be used in situation where there is an issue saving content created within a WYSIWYG editor or if the editor is causing undesired issues such as unexpected behavior while using the editor or content re-arrangement and/or corruption upon save.
- Editor - TinyMCE - When selected, this will display the TinyMCE WYSIWYG editor. (Details to follow)
- Editor - XStandard Lite 2.0 - When selected, this will display the XStandard Lite 2.0 WYSIWYG editor. This editor plugin is disabled by default. (Details to follow)
However, there are many more WYSIWYG editors available that the redTEAM recommends all shop administrators to explore and test to find the one best suited for them:
- JCE - "An award-winning, configurable WYSIWYG editor for Joomla! based on Moxiecode's TinyMCE. Includes advanced Image/Media, File and Link handling, plugin support, and an Administration interface for editor configuration.".
- CodeMirror - "CodeMirror is a code editor for your Joomla! site which helps you have a pleasant experience for writing your articles using HTML. It can highlight the code of a lot of languages (HTML being the primary interest for Joomla!) show you mismatched tags and also helps you have a clear indentation for your code. This editor will also ship in Joomla! 1.6 core package."
- RokPad - "RokPad was devised as a tool to provide an easy and elegant interface for editing Joomla content, to make it a pleasure, not a chore. Advanced functions such as an Ajax saving action, plus shortcut keys, are incredible some of the many time saving features. RokPad is perfect for anyone who prefers to avoid the WYSIWYG editors but still craves the richness of a code editor."
- MarkItUp HTML Editor - "MarkItUp Editor for Joomla is a different kind of editor. Most try to emphasize the WYSIWYG interface (the visual representation of the page) over the code. MarkItUp doesn't try to do that. Instead it tries to make it easier to control your HTML code without fear of extra formatting."
There are more editors available listed in the "Editors" category of Joomla!'s Extension Directory.